Caramel apples are the perfect fall treat. They’re easy to make and with a couple extra steps can be made extra festive for Halloween!
You will need:
- 5 small or medium apples
- 1 package caramel bits or unwrapped caramels (11 oz.)
- white almond bark
- chocolate baking chips
- parchment paper
- kitchen shears
- candy sticks or skewers (5mm diameter or smaller)
- paper straws
- Remove the apple stems and scrub the apples well to remove any wax coating. This will help the caramel stick to the apples.
- Insert a candy stick in the top of each apple and then cover with a paper straw. These straws are sturdy and work well. Cut the candy sticks and paper straws to the desired height.
- Add the caramel bits, 1 tablespoon water and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract to a saucepan and melt over low-medium heat until smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Dip each apple in the melted caramel and rotate to cover the entire apple. Scrape off the bottom of the apple on the side of the saucepan to remove excess caramel and then place on a parchment lined pan.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to set.
- Use kitchen shears to trim any excess caramel around the bottom of each apple before dipping in chocolate.
Now decide how you want to decorate your apples. There are so many different options, here are just a few ideas!
Ghost: Dip in white almond bark. Use candy eyes or sprinkles for the eyes and a chocolate chip for the mouth.
Sprinkles: Dip in chocolate and sprinkle with Halloween themed sprinkles.
Apple Pie: These are my personal favorite, they are so delicious! Dip in white almond bark. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Mummy: Dip in white almond bark. Let set for a few minutes. Use a spoon or ziploc bag with a hole cut in the corner to drizzle more almond bark over the top. Add candy eyes or sprinkles for the eyes.
Spiderweb: Dip in chocolate. Use a spoon or ziploc bag with a hole cut in the corner to drizzle white almond bark around the apple. Glue a plastic spider to the straw.
To cover with white almond bark, melt the almond bark in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds, then stir. Continue heating in 30 second increments until smooth. You will need about 2 ounces of almond bark for each apple you dip.
To cover with chocolate, add 1 tsp of coconut oil or shortening per 8 ounces of chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Continue heating in 30 second increments until smooth. You will need about 2 ounces of chocolate chips for each apple you dip.
Package them in bags and tie with bakers twine for a cute gift or party favor!