If you know me personally, you know I have an unhealthy obsession with churros… like maybe I’ve made a Churro Halloween costume? So unhealthy.
It’s not easy to make churros from home (believe me, I’ve tried), so when I saw this recipe, I knew I needed to try it. It tastes exactly like a real churro, without the stove top frying oil.
One thing you should know before I begin, is that this particular recipe requires something called Cinnamon chips, which I had never heard about before. They are like chocolate chips, but CINNAMON flavor… found in the baking aisle near the chocolate chips. Since they are usually seasonal, they were really difficult to find, so if you do find them, STOCK. UP. It’s so worth it. It gives this churro recipe the perfect amount of deliciousness.
Churro Chex Mix
- 9 cups of rice Chex Cereal
- 1 cup of cinnamon chips (made by Hershey’s!)
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Pour cereal into a large bowl
- In a small bowl, combine both sugars and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, microwave cinnamon chips and butter for a minute. Stir and heat 30 seconds more until smooth. Drizzle over cereal and stir well to coat evenly. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over coated cereal and stir again to evenly distribute cinnamon and sugar.
- Spread out to cool on a cookie sheet or wax paper.
- If you’re like me, add a little more powdered sugar just enough to coat.
- Optional: add extra items to the mix to give it some variety! Pretzels, peanuts, Reese’s pieces, M&M’s, etc.
- Serve in a bowl or in individualized bags (see below!)
Look how elegant it looks at the party:
OR you could serve it at your kid’s Halloween party in these cute fall themed bags: